Why housekeeping is important.
To some people, the word “housekeeping” means cleaning floors , removing dust, and organizing clutter.
But in a work setting, it means much more. Housekeeping is crucial to safe workplaces and a good routine will help keep you safe from hazards.
So what are the benefits of keeping things spick and span?
Slips, trips, falls, cuts, and punctures are just a few of the injuries that can be related to poor housekeeping. So, where do you start?
Here are some ways that you and your co-workers can do your bit to keep everyone safe at work.
Prevent slips, trips and falls
- Report and clean up spills and leaks
- Keep aisles and exits clear of items
- Replace worn, ripped or damaged flooring
- Eliminate slippery conditions from walkways and working surfaces.
Eliminate fire hazards
- Keep combustible materials in the work area only in amounts needed for the job
- Store quick-burning, flammable materials in designated locations away from ignition sources
- Avoid contaminating clothes with flammable liquids
- Keep passageways and fire doors free of obstructions
- Any hazards in electrical areas should be reported asap
Prevent falling objects
- Shut file cabinet drawers when not in use and open one filing cabinet drawer at a time
- Store heavy objects close to the floor and out of walkways
- Store tools, equipment and materials properly
- Tidy up desks or workstations
- Return tools and other materials to storage after using them
- Dispose of materials that are no longer needed
- Keep aisles, stairways, emergency exits, and doors clear of clutter
- Ensure all cords are properly secured and covered
- Make sure cups, glasses and containers have lids on them
Good housekeeping is everyone’s responsibility. It doesn’t matter what position you hold or what type of task you are performing; keeping your work area tidy is every employee’s obligation.
Doing your bit will go a long way in showing your co-workers that you want everyone to go home safe at the end of each day.
Plus, a clean and tidy atmosphere improves morale and lets you feel proud of your workplace. So please, make it your mission not to work in unsafe conditions.